Friday, March 14, 2014

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

by James Owen

Rating: TV-PG

Studio: Marvel Studios

Starring: Clark Gregg and Agent Phil Coulsen, Ming Na-Weng as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennett as Skye, Iain De Caesdecker as Agent Leo Fitz, and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons

Guest Stars: Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, Maximiliano Hernandez as Agent Jasper Sitwell, Saffron Burrows as Agent Victoria Hand, Bill Paxton as Agent John Garrett, Jamie Alexander as Lady Sif, with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury

Episode List:
"Pilot"
"0-8-4"
"The Asset"
"Eye Spy"
"The Girl in the Flower Dress"
"FZZT"
"The Hub"
"The Well"
"Repairs"
"The Bridge"
"The Magical Place"
"Seeds"
"T.R.A.C.K.S."
"T.A.H.I.T.I."
"Yes Men"

Network: ABC


We knew he wasn't dead.

Near the middle of Marvel's The Avengers, Agent Phil Coulsen (Clark Gregg) appears to be stabbed to death by a vengeful Asgardian. But dying is overrated. Coulsen is revived by doctors and enjoys a pleasant recovery in Tahiti...or did he?

Now that he is back in action, Agent Coulsen is assigned by S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division; quite a mouthful, I know) to investigate the mysterious and unknown. For that, he needs a crack squad of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to help him. He enlists the help of legendary former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Melinda May (Ming Na-Weng) for her piloting skills. Every TV show needs a stud too, so, Coulsen recruits Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton) for his operational skills and square jaw. Of course, you also need a couple of nerds too. Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caesdecker)and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge), affectionately named "Fitz-Simmons" fill that role nicely. With his team assembled, they all pile into "the Bus" for their first mission. Along the way, they pick up a mysterious computer hacker named Skye (Chloe Bennett) whose loyalties are in question.

Themes

The theme of teamwork is unquestionably the most prominent theme in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The members of Coulsen's team are constantly squabbling over something. Whether it is how to contain an ancient alien weapon that might blow them out of they sky or who put shaving cream on Fitz's face, the agents always seem to be fighting. Other themes deal in family, the purpose of one's existence, and those tough moral issues. Overall, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. displays good themes.

In the episode "Repairs," Skye has a worldview discussion with a woman who seems to be haunted by demon.

"Do you believe in God?" the woman asks.

Skye struggles before replying, "Not really."

"Well I do," the woman replies. "And I know that He's punishing me."

Skye struggles to find words to comfort this woman before revealing her Catholic background. She says that the nuns at her orphanage used to always keep her in line with threats of God's wrath and Hell. But then Skye mentions one nun who was different.

"She said that God is love," Skye says. "I like that version better."

While this is a very good discussion to have, one must take into consideration his or her spiritual maturity before having it.

Content

The episodes have their share of questionable content.

Violence can be expected from an action show. People are shot and killed. Mysterious forces electrocute bodies. Agents are stabbed and beaten. (SPOILER ALERT) People are blown to pieces and their scarred bodies are brought back as cyborgs. Ward remembers watching his brother drown in a well as a kid. (SPOILER ALERT) Agent Coulsen remember painful procedures done on him including surgery on his brain.

The language in this show is not terribly strong, but there is plenty of it. Each episode has around four or five swear words. At one point, they manage to sneak in a stronger word by having Fitz mouth it.

The strongest concern of this show is that Agent Ward and Agent May have been having an affair. This subject is discussed frequently. While Coulsen doesn't forbid their behavior, he rebukes it. There are currently two scenes of suggestive content: one in "The Girl in the Flower Dress" and one in "Yes Men." These scenes can be easily skipped. Other various innuendos and crass references are made throughout the episodes.

Conclusion

As some of you may know, I am what many would call a Marvel "true-believer." I love the Marvel superheroes, I am constantly looking for recent news and speculation on upcoming Avengers movies. One of the reasons that I started watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was for Agent Coulsen. I liked his character in Marvel's The Avengers and the other movies. Another reason was for the information that I knew it would probably provide for the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But after watching the first few episodes, the show earned its own merit with me outside of all of the other Marvel movies. The characters are developed well, the humor and action are very well balanced.

I guess the next question to ask is how well does the show's own merits stand up against its questionable content. Well, the biggest concern is some of the sensual content including Ward and May's affair. As I watched the show and these subjects came up, I disgustedly growled "Come on!" These subjects and scenes angered me because they were unnecessary to the central story. But in watching this show, I chose to ignore these subjects and focus on the characters, the stories, and they mysteries.You may call me biased, but I am a fan of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. However, I would recommend this show for ages 14 and up. I warn you, though, if you choose to watch this show, prepare to have your mind blown.


Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. airs Tuesdays at 8/7 central on ABC

Have anything you'd like to add? Leave us a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment